Sleep disorders in children affect all members of the family. If you don’t get a solution immediately your health, your baby’s health, and the quality of your relationships is at risk too.
Experts say that if such issues are left unresolved, the kid might have long term mental health issues. So, this article highlights the most common sleep disorders in children and their solutions.
Most Common Sleep Disorders in Children and Their Solutions
- Restless legs syndrome(RLS)
Children with RLS find it hard to keep still. They exhibit abnormal restlessness, and walking around seems to bring them relief. At night, such children have trouble falling asleep because they want to keep walking. They might also wake up during the night and move around to stretch their legs.
- Magnesium and iron supplements: One underlying cause of RLS is magnesium ad iron deficiency. However, you must consult a pediatrician before giving your child any medicine or supplements.
- How to stop restless legs immediately: Have your baby lie down and massage his legs. If possible, do that while he soaks in a bowl of warm water.
- Sleep terrors
Night terrors are among the most common sleep disorders in children below ten years. They are different from baby nightmares in that the young one cannot recall the terror in the morning.
Night terrors cause range from stress to too much caffeine. The great news is most kids outgrow them before adolescence.
- Do not give your kid caffeine.
- Establish a bedtime routine that is aimed at relaxing the baby.
- Visit a sleep laboratory to study the child’s sleep pattern. That way, you can wake them up before the terror begins, then calm then to sleep again
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
One to five percent of the children in the world have this condition. Your young one’s airway is blocked, and for a couple of minutes, they don’t get enough oxygen prompting them to wake up.
Sadly, the child can wake up a few times during the night, thus, compromising the quality of sleep altogether.
- Kindly seek pediatric sleep apnea treatment immediately you realize that your child has OSA. The expert can prescribe a wide variety of remedies; from toddler sleep apnea pillow to adenotonsillectomy (surgery to remove the tonsils).
You must explain to the kid why you are going to the doctor if the kid is at an age where he understands stuff. You don’t want your little one to have child sleep anxiety once he realizes that something happens to him while he sleeps.
- Behavioral insomnia
Research shows that around twenty-five percent of the children populace have episodes of behavioral insomnia. That is why it’s listed among the most common sleep disorders in children. Basically, the baby finds it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
One or two nights’ insomnia should not worry you, but if the problem persists for days, then you need to see the doctor.
- Pediatric insomnia guidelines recommend that first, the parent must create a conducive sleep environment for children. To realize this, you must ensure that your child’s bedroom is dark enough at night.
Also, purchase a bed that is appropriate for your baby. To get an expert opinion on baby beds and mattresses checkout SleepDelivered reviewed the Helix and Purple beds
Have you heard sleepwalking stories where children exhibit abnormal behaviors? Study shows that this sleep disorder is common among children aged four to nine years. Sleepwalking causes range from stress to family history. However, your child is likely to stop the habit by the age of ten.
- Close all doors and windows so that your baby does not walk to areas where he will get hurt. For example kitchen, workshop and streets.
- Do not give your child caffeine after sunset.
- Avoid overworking or stressing the child. Also, bond with the young one after school to make sure that he is not stressed.
Most common sleep disorders in children have home-based solutions. Nevertheless, if the problem persists seek professional help to rule out other underlying issues like chronic illnesses. Taking care of a sleep-deprived kid can be exhausting, so it’s crucial to have the whole family involved else you might go crazy.